Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Double XP weekend

This past weekend CoX had double XP. I had been looking forward to this, not simply because of the bonus, but because I thought I would find more players outside of AE doing missions.

It didn't work out that way, other zones were still as empty as usual. And AE was still the place to get the most XP, even with missions giving double!

Even if missions gave triple or quadruple, the problem is you can't beat AE's accessability. Depending on the mission any player can join. You don't have to worry about sidekicking someone (bringing them up to your level). You don't have to travel, the missions entry is always in the same spot. The rewards - in the form of tickets are better. You can use tickets to buy exactly what you need, versus missions dropping random stuff you may or may not (usually the latter) be able to use.

I didn't count how many levels I got over the weekend, but I doubt I got a single level due to double xp from missions. AE is simply better for leveling fast. So that's where I spent most of my time.

One group in particular was amusing to me. I think I mentioned before how CoX vets are calling players who level in ae "AE babies". And yes that's supposed to be derogatory. You level up through AE so you don't know anything about playing the game. Hence you're a baby. Yeah its dumb. Anyway, I joined one team that ending up being quite amusing to me. It was a team where a Fire/Kinetics Controller (a archetype combo able to clear a mission made for 8 players solo) had us all doorsit (you don't participate in the mission, you just "sit" at the door). The Fire/Kin let us go afk if we wanted. But some of us used it as a chat room. What was funny is at least 6 of our 8 team were vets. Well the funny part is many of them had excuses for why they were leveling in ae. Apparently having one character you leveled up "the hard way" gives you a get out of ae-guilt free card.

If leveling up outside of AE is so fun, why don't they continue doing so on their alts? And if leveling up outside of AE is hard, why do they think any new player in their right mind would want to do so? For some stupid badge of honor?

I've noticed some players have taken to advertising themselves for groups as "N month vet, etc." To be honest, if it takes you 30 months to be a decent player I'm not sure that's a good selling point. Because like I've said playing CoX isn't hard. I'm not sure of what is in the game you can't learn to do at 50 that you could learn at any other level. I leveled up the "hard" way and if I had a friend that wanted to come play with me, I'd rather they be able to level up fast so that we could do whatever the hay we wanted with basically no level restriction.


They should remove XP from AE, after I get all of my desired characters leveled up that way.

1 comments:

Tauhid Chappell said...

I'm glad I poked my head into this blog. Great post! :)

About this blog

"I don't *need* to play. I can quit anytime I want!"

Search This Blog