Friday, August 14, 2009

You don't *have* to do anything

I decided to make a new post in response to a comment from my previous post.

Regarding "...then what is the point in playing at all? You shouldn't have to put time and effort..."

Well that was part of my point. I'll point out there is no mention of fun.I understand it is most likely implied. But in my case, I feel like I was getting to the point that WoW was a habit instead of an enjoyable activity.

Like I said WoW hasn't changed, but I think I am. The core idea of all MMORPGs is to put in time and effort to improve your character.

I logged on the other day to spend time getting a pet. I was able to do it within a 1/2 hour. I'm okay with that.

What I think I'm no longer okay with is making a goal to get 100 pets.

You're right, you don't have to spend a year getting a drake. WoW doesn't force anyone to make goals to get 100 pets. But it is an achievement (and if 100 pets isn't an achievement yet...it will be.)

Note: As I type I realize I'm unable to express exactly what I feel is wrong with the whole thing. Not wrong for everyone - wrong for me. I think when I am able to convey it, I'll finally get why I played for so long and why I will eventually cancel for good. I'm not there yet. ;)

0 comments:

About this blog

"I don't *need* to play. I can quit anytime I want!"

Search This Blog