Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The "healer" problem

http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/1120

Came across this discussion about healing. The most interesting comment and one that I've heard mentioned when I was playing City of Heroes, is moving the "healer" from MMORPGs altogether.

The roleplaying reason in City of Heroes is that, according to comic book readers, there is no hero that gets healed by other heroes.

Of course, I have mixed feelings about removing this cleric archetype. As much as I complain about healing, it really is something I'm drawn to. I hate when someone yells at me to heal. I love to heal someone when I see they are taking damage. I hate that people expect me to do nothing BUT heal. I love being part of the success of an encounter because of my healing. I hate that I can't do anything if I'm purely specced for healing. I love that I am a welcome addition to many parties when I am.

I'd rather they find some "innovative sh*t" as someone mentioned, so that they wouldn't have to throw the baby out with the bath water.

2 comments:

David said...

Raven... a comic book hero who heals and more.

Yane (Yet another night elf) said...

david I'll have to check that out - I remember at the time searching for healer heroes but came up empty.

About this blog

"I don't *need* to play. I can quit anytime I want!"

Search This Blog